Saturday 19 July 2008

Yet Another Thing Stolen from my Life

“What do you do when the only one who can make you stop crying is the one who made you cry?”


I mentioned in my last post that the reason today was such a shit day was because I pushed away the one person in my life who has the ability to make me smile even when I’m at my lowest...Henrik.

He is still the only one I feel that I have told willingly about my depression and definitely the only one I can talk to about it without holding anything back, but today I sent him an email explaining why I think it’ll be best if we stopped all contact. It doesn’t make sense does it; I mean it is pretty obvious that I care for him, quite a lot. I’ll even finally admit that it’s bordering on love, but really, I feel this was the best thing to do.

Before I go into the reasons behind my decision I’ll fill in a little about our history. We have been talking to each other for about a year and a half now and our conversations, mostly on MSN, were always fun, completely random, carefree. We would spend hours talking, day after day just putting the world to right. When I finally accepted that I had depression I felt like I had to tell him and it actually came easy to me. We would talk about it, I’d release the emotion I kept hidden from everybody else, he’d listen and be there for me to vent out. As my depression became worse our conversations quickly moved from relaxed to tense. The things I talked about became more serious, I would talk to him while feeling suicidal and he would try and talk me out of it. This became more and more frequent until I realised I had become completely reliant on him. He told me that he found the situation hard, hated the fact that he couldn’t do anything to take this depression away, he said that the suicidal moments always upset him and I began to feel so bad for burdening him with everything.

Obviously he wasn’t online for me to talk to every hour of the day and I would start to send him emails while he was offline. I became this needy, emotional, insecure person and I hated it. Every conversation lately had been depression based and I had to stop it somehow. I don’t want to be this pathetic and weak person, I want things to go back to how they were when we actually had fun talking to each other but I can’t see it happening, so instead of bringing him down even further I’ve decided to stop completely.

My heart is practically screaming at me but it was something I had been thinking about for some time now. I do care about him and I don’t want to be responsible for bringing him down anymore. He’s better off not talking to me and so I’ve put it into action. I’m still feeling crap about it, it’s going to take a while to get over but hopefully it’ll help me move on with my life.

I had never told him how much he meant to me because I could tell that his feelings back weren’t as strong. I was, and still am, living in a dream world, hoping that he would say the words that I longed him to say. I need to get a grip, go back to reality and this is the only way I can see it happening.

I blame my depression for pushing him away. I hate the fact that it’s controlled so many aspects of my life and now it’s reduced me to a lovesick shell of a woman. But there is some good in all this. I now have an added determination to overcome this condition. If I can overcome it and become the woman I used to be then maybe I could get back in contact with Henrik. How long this determination lasts before the depression also takes that away from me, only time will tell.

2 comments:

Kass said...

My husband and I went through something similar. He easily got frustrated and annoyed with me because it is so tough caring for someone who struggles with depression and suicidal thoughts.

Here's my two cents: Put it all out on the table for him. Tell him that you really like him. Do you see this as a long-term relationship? If so, be honest with him. My husband tried to break it off with me when we were dating. I knew he was "the one" for me and I flew to where he was to prove my love to him. Sure, things aren't happily ever after but over time, he's come to accept and understand a lot of what I deal with. I suppose it all comes down to love.

It doesn't sound like Henrik has expressed any love for you. Even if he hasn't, you probably should just let him know why you're cutting off contact with him and leave the decision in HIS hands on whether he agrees with that. You might be cutting yourself off from a potential life partner.

But again, that's just how I see it.

Hidden Darkness said...

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I explained to him as much as I could about what I was feeling and why I felt like I needed to do this but whether he understood or agreed I have no idea. I hope I made it clear enough and like you said, it’s up to him now. Before my depression really took hold he did used to say things that made me wonder what he felt, he would make jokes about how we were going to run away together and make up some ideal life for both of us, but I never asked him about it, I’m regretting it now. Things definitely changed as I started to get worse and now I’m even less sure about what he feels. Time will tell I guess but I’m not holding out much hope.