Tuesday 8 July 2008

Have you ever been alone in a crowded room?

Sometimes when I say ‘Oh I’m fine’ I want someone to look at me in the eyes and say ‘Tell the truth’”

Nights are when I feel worst and these last couple of nights have been no exception. Right now I’m writing this purely to distract myself. It’s hard for me to describe exactly what I’m feeling; an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness, the lack of energy to simply go on, extreme loneliness despite knowing my friends are only a phone call away...

Maybe that’s the problem. I know how the conversation would go. They’d ask me what was wrong and the facade would go up. They’d hang up thinking I was fine, I’d hang up wishing they had probed deeper. This is where the hypocritical nature of my problem appears. I want people to know that I suffer from this, I want them to know that actually I’m not fine, I want them to see what I’m going through but at the same time I don’t want them to know, I want them to carry on believing that I’m a happy stable person. I’ve realised that I’m not going to tell them unless one day they decide to probe a little deeper, question me. Out of the four people who know about my illness, only one has been told willingly.

The first person to know was my mother, I told her that winter night after my early morning adventure. I couldn’t exactly deny that there was something up; I was in a complete state. Even though she suffers from depression herself and I’m very close to her, I find it very hard to talk to her about it. I never go into any detail and I have never mentioned how bad it actually is. I could never tell her that I consider suicide for example, and definitely couldn’t tell her how close I have actually got to it. When I feel like this, I can’t bring myself to go to her, I can’t let her see me because I don’t want to upset her.

Shortly after my Christmas episode I told Henrik, the only person I have told willingly. Now you can probably guess from the name, Henrik is Swedish. Being in different countries, we talk through MSN mostly. At the time, I needed someone to talk to. I had only just accepted that I had depression and he seemed the best person to help. Talking through MSN where you don’t see the person’s face and can’t hear their voice makes talking about my feelings so much easier. The main reason I hold back on telling people is because I don’t want them to judge me or suddenly view me differently. I don’t have that problem with Henrik. I put the fact that I’m still here purely down to him. He has saved me on a number of occasions though he probably doesn’t know it. There are many things I wish I could tell him but there are some things, even over MSN, I still can’t bring myself to say. The issue of course with MSN is I can only talk to him if I’m at a computer and he’s online. Lately he hasn’t been online as much due to work and other issues, meaning when I hit a down spell and he isn’t online, like now, I have to cope without him, something that is getting harder to do. Right now I would give anything to just talk to him; instead I’m left here feeling alone.

The third person to know was Amanda. I knew that when I went back to university after the Christmas break I would need someone up there to know, just so if I did try to do something stupid, someone would be there to look out for me and stop me. I told her because I felt I had to, not because I necessarily wanted to. I chose her out of all my university friends because I thought she would have the best chance of understanding. She suffers from anorexia and had confided in me a number of times. A lot of what she was feeling, I could relate to and so the decision to choose her came pretty easy. Actually telling her was another matter. In the end, she found out through a rather longwinded email (as you can see, I do tend to go on a bit sometimes). I don’t talk to her much about it, I still find it hard to talk to someone face-to-face when I’m in a state, but after Henrik being online less, I’ve had no choice but to rely on her a little more. I’m getting a little better at it, but now, me being back home in Wales and her living in London and currently jetting off to Zanzibar, knowing that she knows offers little comfort.

And then the fourth person is my counsellor. Not really sure he counts, but there we go. I’ve been seeing him for about six months now but as I see him through the university, I’m currently not having any sessions and I won’t start up again until October. Even though I find it hard to talk to him, still not over my face-to-face issues, he is easier to talk to than others. I don’t mind crying in front of him or showing how much everything is affecting me, and not having those weekly let-out sessions are definitely effecting me.

So I’m stuck with feeling alone, in need of a hug and in need of a shoulder to cry on. I often go through all the people I know and I wonder whether I could actually tell any of them. Some definitely wouldn’t understand, most would change how they treated me. Truth is I’m scared of letting people know, despite how badly I need it to happen. I guess all I can wish for is someday someone will see through my facade and that that day comes soon because I’m not sure how long I can take this loneliness.

No comments: