Sunday 27 July 2008

Chugging Away at Life

I mentioned before about a job interview I had in London. Well it turns out I got the job. You cannot imagine how much relief I felt when I found out. Financially things are terrible back home and with me having to pay student fees and rent on my house back up at university...well things were getting a little desperate. It didn’t help with the fact that I thought my summer job was already arranged but I got back from university to find that the office that had accepted me were now un-accepting me due to budget and staff cuts. But now, starting Monday, I will officially be a ‘chugger’.

For those who are unfamiliar with the term, a chugger is the name given by the Daily Mail Newspaper to charity fundraisers on the street who stop passersby and try and get them to subscribe to a charity. The term, made up from the words ‘charity’ and ‘mugger’ is meant to convey the hard-sell techniques that some use. I’m trying not to think about the whole negative opinions held by people about this job and think about the positives. Because of the hours and the demanding nature of the job, I am going to have little time to myself, meaning for a while at least my mind will be taken off my depression and Henrik...hopefully. Also, I will be travelling around the UK which means I can get out of the house and away from the constant arguing of parents.

My contract states that I have to work for at least five weeks. Due to the travelling, I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to get online and update this regularly. I will try but I wouldn’t expect any posts for at least five weeks.

Sorry about the slightly rushed nature of this post, I was intending to go into more detail about the job and opinions and such things but tiredness is overcoming me. The lack of sleep is really taking its toll now and as I’m travelling to Oxford tomorrow for my training on Monday I really should try and regain some of it. Easier said than done of course.

No comments: